Karpovka


Furniture factory

Furniture factory of Fyodor Fyodorovich Meltser (1886-1918)

The factory survives on the corner of Kamennoostrovsky Prospekt and 27 Karpovka River Embankment. The brick building, one of Petersburg's leading furniture factories, was erected in 1884 by an architect who was in important exponent of modernism in St. Petersburg, V.V. Shaub and, after 1904, co-owned by brothers Fyodor and Robert Meltser.

Approximately 200 labored there, and their products contributed to the Pan-Russian exhibitions and World Expositions. Among the clients of the Meltser family were the several leading families: the Romanovs, the Nobels, the Benois, Matilda Kshesinskaia, and the Riabushinskii. Interestingly, Robert Meltser was a patron of the central artist of the Petersburg Avant-garde, Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, who lived in the Meltser family residence, adjacent to the factory.

 

Next: The Armchair»

«Back: The Restaurant